Among the Best Regional Universities Midwest
Nationally Recognized for Excellence
- After being classified as a master’s-large institution for most of its history, SIUE was reclassified in January 2019 by The Carnegie Commission on Higher Education to the newly created doctoral/professional universities category. The University is proud to be ranked by Washington Monthly among the top 30% of doctoral universities in the nation.
- The classification upgrade is significant as Washington Monthly has ranked SIUE 115th in its 2019 National University Rankings of 395 doctoral institutions. For the previous nine years, SIUE was in Washington Monthly’s Top 100 nationally for master’s universities.
- Unlike conventional college rankings, Washington Monthly evaluates an institution’s “contribution to the public good” in three broad categories: social mobility—educating low-income students; research—producing cutting-edge scholarship and PhDs; and service—encouraging students to give something back to their communities.
- SIUE also is included in Washington Monthly's "Best Bang for the Buck" among Midwest institutions. The list recognizes schools that help non-wealthy students attain marketable degrees at affordable prices.
- SIUE is ranked 9th nationally among YourLocalSecurity's 内蒙古快3 Safest College Campuses in America among institutions with more than 5,000 students. SIUE was No. 2 in Illinois and ranked ahead of all institutions in Missouri.
- Since the Daily Beast ranked SIUE among the safest college campuses in the country in 2010, SIUE has consistently been rated highly for its safe campus environment by a variety of organizations, including the National Council for 内蒙古快3 Safety and Security.
- SIUE is committed to safety and the investment in safety technology, such as the Rave Guardian app, to maintain a secure campus. SIUE police officers are academy trained and engaged in a Community Policing program. Under the SIUE Campus Violence Prevention Plan, there are more than 80 emergency phones on campus.
- The City of Edwardsville, 内蒙古快3 to SIUE, is ranked among the nation’s top 25 safest college towns by Safewise in its 2019 Safest College Towns list. Ranked 21st nationally, Edwardsville was No. 2 in Illinois and ranked ahead of all Missouri college towns.
- Among Illinois public institutions, SIUE ranks 4th on Forbes magazine's list of America's Top Colleges. The magazine's criteria are based on return on investment, including success after graduation, student debt and student satisfaction.
- SIUE has earned the 内蒙古快3-21 Military Friendly® School designation. Institutions earning the Military Friendly® School designation were evaluated using both public data sources and responses from a proprietary survey. More than 1,000 schools participated in the 内蒙古快3-21 survey with 695 earning the designation. Methodology, criteria, and weightings were determined by Viqtory with input from the Military Friendly® Advisory Council of independent leaders in the higher education and military recruitment community.
- According to the National Science Foundation, SIUE ranks first for research expenditures among Emerging Institutions in the Midwest and third in research expenditures among Doctoral/Professional Univerisites.
- Each year, faculty and staff receive grants and contracts for research, teaching and service initiatives from funding organizations such as National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, Department of Health and Human 内蒙古快三走势图, and United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- As society’s demand for leadership and innovation in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) grows, SIUE is rising to the challenge with a center dedicated to strengthening STEM education for all students, as well as for current and future teachers. The SIUE STEM Center for Research, Education and Outreach loans science materials to teachers, and offers camps and activities for area K-12 students, as well as educators. The Center has forged vital partnerships, including those with the United States Transportation Command and The Boeing 内蒙古快3, to expand community outreach efforts.
- SIUE's Fall 2019 enrollment is 13,061. The freshman-to-sophomore retention rate was a record-high 79%. Fall 2019 enrollment records include:
- Nursing students: 1,778 (a 2% increase)
- Graduate students: 2,658 (largest enrollment in 7 years)
- International students: 162 (largest number of new students in 18 years)
- SIUE offers nationally accredited academic programs of study with one of the lowest tuition and required fees of all four-year institutions in Illinois. SIUE offers in-state tuition to undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states, and new undergraduate students receive a guaranteed tuition rate for four continuous academic years. To further enhance affordability, the University awarded more than $148 million in scholarships and financial aid year last year. That positions an cation as one of the best values in the Midwest.
- SIUE offers easy access to professional and cultural opportunities in Metropolitan St. Louis, located just 25 minutes from the campus. The close proximity to St. Louis gives students the benefit of internships, cooperative education opportunities and full-time employment with major corporations like The Boeing 内蒙古快3, Anheuser-Busch, Edward Jones, Express Scripts and BJC Healthcare. Ninety percent of SIUE students report securing a job within six months of graduation.
Commitment to Diversity
- SIUE received the 2019 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine, the oldest and largest diversity-focused publication in higher education. SIUE joins a select group of 35 institutions that have earned the distinction for at least six consecutive years.
- SIUE is one of 62 university campuses in the world and the only public institution in Illinois to be part of the Sustained Dialogue Campus Network (SDCN) which helps university faculty, staff and students address issues of race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability status and other topics that often are not effectively discussed in diverse groups. SDCN leaders learn to build more cohesive, engaged and diverse campus communities.
- The University’s LGBTQ-Friendly Campus Climate index and Sexual Orientation scores are 4.5 out of 5 stars. SIUE's Gender Identity/Expression score is 4 out of 5 stars.
- SIUE is 内蒙古快3 to nearly 400 international students from 57 nations.
Continued Campus Growth
- SIUE is committed to continually enhancing the learning environment for students by maintaining the natural beauty of campus and engaging in sustainable construction practices. All new campus construction is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certifiable by the U.S. Green Building Council. SIUE is second in the region for the number of LEED buildings on university campuses.
- LEED Gold: Art & Design West
- LEED Silver: Science Building East, Science Building West, Lukas Athletics Annex, Engineering Building Addition and the Multidisciplinary Dental Medicine Laboratory
- LEED Residential: Cougar Village, one residential building
- Applied for Certification: Fowler Student Design Center
- The University boasts a regional economic impact of more than $514 million in the 2015 report, a 9% increase since 2010.
- SIUE is the largest producer of bachelor's degrees in the St. Louis Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA).
- For every state dollar spent on the University, SIUE generates $8.60 of economic impact in the local economy. SIUE also generated more than $24 million in state and local tax revenues in 2015.
- SIUE is the second largest employer in the Madison-St. Clair County region.
- As a result of SIUE athletics, expenditures in the region nearly doubled from $249,000 in 2010 to $497,000 in 2015.
NCAA Division I Athletics
- SIUE is fully certified at the Division I level by the NCAA and is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) and the Mid-American Conference (MAC) as affiliate members in the sports of men's soccer and wrestling.
- SIUE currently is ranked 1st among Illinois state universities and 13th in the nation among public universities graduating student-athletes, according to a report released by the NCAA.
- Fall 2019 marked the 27th consecutive semester all student-athletes have earned a cumulative 3.0 or higher GPA.
Commitment to Service
- School of Dental Medicine students manage approximately 35,000 patient visits each year at patient clinics in Alton and East St. Louis. In addition, students offer oral health treatment, screenings and education to more than 13,000 people annually through a wide variety of community outreach events.
- The SIUE East St. Louis Center received more than $14 million in grant awards last year and applied those funds toward comprehensive programs, services and training for children and families in the community. A vital educational resource and a supportive neighbor to the Metro East Community, the Center serves to empower individuals and families to lead successful and healthy lives.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ranks SIUE number one in Illinois and 22nd in the nation in green power usage. The EPA's Green Power Partnership program has named the top 30 colleges and universities representing the largest green power users among higher education institutions within the Partnership. SIUE ranks first in the state and 22nd nationally. SIUE is one of only two Illinois schools that made the top 30.
- SIUE is recognized as a STARS Silver Institution for accomplishments in campus sustainability. The rating is based on the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System for campus-wide sustainable practices from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
- From the installation of a 120-foot wind turbine and 140 solar panels, to the maintenance of more than 17,500-square-feet of green roof space, SIUE is committed to sustainability.
- The 35-acre Gardens at SIUE and the 380-acre Nature Preserve are places where students and faculty take part in valuable research, lab projects and class assignments.
- The NCERC at SIUE is a nationally recognized research center dedicated to the development and commercialization of biofuels, specialty chemicals and other renewable compounds.